"Bora da, rwyn gobethio bod mae
I gyd mewn iechyd da"

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Drunk drivers

In the days before I had to rely on my scooter to get around, I was staggering my way back to our Land Rover after calling at a shop at our local town.

I was sitting in the driving seat about to set off, when a policeman tapped on my window. I rolled down the window to see what he wanted. Before he said anything he leaned right over to me, just as if he was going to give me a kiss! His face was close to mine for a few seconds. Then he said to me, "I was just checking to see if you were alright sir".

It was obvious that he was checking to see if I had been drinking!

I wasn't annoyed by the policeman's mistake though, because some years ago I lost a friend through the actions of a drunk driver. My friend, a fellow motorcyclist, was quietly riding his motorbike through a village, when a car coming out of a pub drove over to the wrong side of the road. This caused my friend to swerve to avoid him, and his motorbike clipped the pavement. My friend to fell off his motorbike and was killed instantly. He was 19-years-old.

Crash helmets were not compulsory in those days. The drunken thug who killed him had 5 years prison for manslaughter, but was released after serving just 3 years.

So it's no wonder that I detest drunken drivers.

No comments:

"Nos da rwyn gobeithio bod newch
chi gyd gall nosweth difyr"